Tilapia brings a little twist to this Louisiana tradition. Crispy homemade seasoned breadcrumbs and your favorite tangy toppings give this sandwich a kick you won’t want to forget.
Homemade Bread Crumb Coating:
- 1 baguette, roughly cubed
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 1 ½ tablespoons each of rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 package Sea Best Tilapia, thawed
- About 1 cup flour (for coating)
- About 2-3 eggs, beaten (for coating)
- Hoagie rolls
- Toppings (tartar sauce, pickled vegetables)
- To make bread crumbs, toss cubed bread with oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and lemon zest and bake at 325°F for approximately 15 minutes. (After removing bread from oven, turn up oven temperature to 450°F to preheat for fish.)
- Process baked bread in a food processor until fine.
- Place bread crumbs in shallow bowl or pan.
- Fill a second shallow bowl or pan with flour and a third with beaten eggs to use when coating the fish.
- Dredge fish in flour, then dip in egg, then coat evenly with breadcrumbs.
- Place fish on wire rack and bake in 450°F oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve on soft hoagies with tartar sauce and pickled vegetables.
Chef’s Note: To save time, you can use seasoned store-bought breadcrumbs.